Monday, March 31, 2008

Kai Lan with Rice Wine

With the whole household waistlines expanding sideways, have to curtail the meat and carb intake (aaw..it is killing the 'fun tung' in me).
Saw this bunch of lovely baby kai lan (kale) selling at the sidewalk outside Consfood. Usually, very cautious about veggies from China but just couldn't resist these. I soaked and re- soaked them in salt water for hours (ham choi, anyone?) hoping whatever chemicals present will leach out. Think that'd work? Don't know.

~Simply blanch in boiling water for a few minutes.

~Dunk into cold water immediately. Drain and arrange on serving plate.

~Heat 1 tbsp oil in pan, saute 2-3 cloves of chopped or thinly sliced garlic and a tbsp of julienned ginger until fragrant.

~Add 1 tbsp of oyster sauce and 1/4 cup of sweet rice wine, bring to boil.

~Add a tsp of cornstarch+ 2T water solution to thicken (optional). Off the heat.

~Pour sauce over the veggie and serve hot.

~Add some pacific clams on top if feel like indulging.

Chemicals laden or not, they were very tasty - sweet with a soft crunchiness. Can do without meat but got to have my rice.

Jo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The more meat I eat, the more I start to appreciate the crunchy and clean taste of vegetables. They were something beneath my notice when I was growing up, in fact, well past the time I grew.

I only started to each small (sometimes miniscule) amounts of veggie only after my 18th birthday when I met Iris.

Now as an older person, I have come to greatly value how good veggies can taste when properly prepared, chemicals and all. Hehe

cheers//