Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Life's Irony

They bicker non-stop, fight over TV programs, computer time and tease each other endlessly. Forever disagreeing on any issue (except the dog issue) and yet... they can be so close to one another. It was heartbreaking to see them say goodbye.
Bryan left today to start a brand new chapter in his life.
I thought with practice this letting-go part of motherhood would get easier. So very wrong...there is no getting use to as far as this part of the job is concerned. 
Remember when he was a baby in my arms and I was thinking how nice to see him all grown up and independent...and now when he is ready to fly, all I want is that moment when he was in my arms...We teach them to reach for the stars but want them to stay grounded at the same time... Life is one big ironical equation, isn't it?

Another irony, it takes distance to bring me closer to my older children. I love them to bits, I know, but I have this incessant urge to nag (all in the name of 'it is for their own good') and pick on them when they were living at home. Now, with them so far away and the nagging out of the way, we can chat for hours (thanks to the internet and phone card or we would all be broke) like good old friends.

10 comments:

Precious Pea said...

Awww...it takes time to get used to. You are right, when I was around i used to argue a lot with my mum and when i went over to Oz to study, we became best of friends. That's life i guess.

Anonymous said...

making me tear...but at least u have 2 more at home n by the time leanne goes, u'll be minding grandkids.cheers!

a feast, everyday said...

Thanks p pea, yeah, it's gonna take a while to get use to not hearing all the bickering in the house.

Heather said...

u made me cry, mi!

a feast, everyday said...

terri, thought i'd bump into u yday at the airport. we sent off bryan at noon and i thought yi was coming in at around the same time...oh well, they do come and go. Like p pea said, tt's life...

a feast, everyday said...

df, join the crowd, tt was yday. today all things back to normal n weather dry again :D

Heather said...

love you and miss you all the time mi.

come shanghai and nag me, k? :)

a feast, everyday said...

Hahaha, then the trip would hv to b cut short n u b rushing back to work..

Heather said...

:) hehehe... okie la... no nagging la... ;p

artsario@gmail.com said...

For all the nagging you done in the past and present , It was good for myself. i would be a far different person than i am today.. so Just wanna thank you. will let you nag when i come home and more after that,k? hehe..
ps. the teasing will always be there even when we are grown men with children..we'll still tease each other..