Friday, October 24, 2008

Muesli And Fruits

Muesli with mangoes 

Muesli with banana

We all know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and I agreed in theory as logically that totally make sense. Do the math... we are most active in the day time. I know some (especially my brood) will certainly disagree but lets say generally, we have to be active even if we don't feel like it and for that we need energy, right?
But that is only in theory, for me this is the hardest meal to prepare. My family find it difficult to pry open the eyes, least of all, our mouths early in the morning. I used to pack sandwiches for the children to bring to school but after a few encounters with the sandwiches still untouched but squashed in their school bags at the end of the day, I wised up and spent the time in a more conducive manner...zzz. 
So for a long time, I have always felt guilty for not preparing the most important meal of the day for them. Motherhood is so saddled with guilt, don't you think? Let's not start that again...
Then I found these... and I have been so so good ;D

Muesli with mix nuts and dried fruits
I got these muesli from Zoelife, a health shop at Heritage, Lintas. We were on our way to BTC, an Indian shop to have some tosai when we came upon this shop. It sells all kinds of health food like Manuka honey, nuts of every kinds, cereals and grains. 
This muesli comes in a 500g or 1 kg packing (~RM15/kg). It is pre-packed with rolled oats, raisins, dried apricot, dates, sunflower seeds, melon seeds, sesame seeds and nuts like almond and cashew.
The best thing about this muesli, beside being so healthy and packed with so much goodness, is that it is so easy and fast to prepare. 
Soak in hot or cold milk, juices or just plain water for about 10 - 25 minutes. I have tried adding hot milo (just soak for 10 minutes) and Leanne loved it as it is still crunchy. I like it soaked up to about 15 minutes but not longer than that as it tends to get too mashy. I don't add any sugar or honey as I find the dried fruits and the fresh fruits added are sweet enough.
But I better warn you before you go get yourself a 1 kg pack, this is nothing like a tosaikon lou mein or Kuching laksa. I didn't quite take to it at first when I soaked it for too long and it turned gooey. It also takes a lot of jaw power to chew all the seeds and nuts.
Whenever I have this for breakfast, I could skip lunch and not feel hungry. That suits me just fine as I have vowed to eat healthier and lesser when at home so that I'd feel freer and less guilty to indulge on food binges when on holidays. 
I figured I have to make some compromise or I'd only get into trouble but not into my jeans! What with so many tempting delectable but decadent food out there :-p. 

5 comments:

ganache-ganache said...

I used to happily buy all sorts of muesli, after 1 or 2 days we get sick of it !! So it's home-made that grace the dining table nowadays.....

ganache-ganache said...

Oh, I mean home-made bread....

Christina Kim said...

That's a really healthy and attractive option for breakfast!~

Anonymous said...

sorry, one ghee tosai please? :-)

Denise ^ ChickyEGG said...

haha! ya I normally buy a pack of these muesli (ah yes with dried fruits), i fill them into my jar, bring to office, and always had this for morning/ noon tea break. I soak into my hot milo for 10 mins! SO delicious!!! :D