Monday, October 13, 2008

Pumpkin Chelsea Buns

The title might differ but this recipe is inspired by the blog, Ganache-ganache, of a young lady who makes amazing cakes and pastry and best of all, takes order for them.
This is her pumpkin buns recipe which I adapted and had a blast with.
I like the look of this recipe because it seems easy. Another reason is also I love playing with yeast dough. I know I can save time and energy using the dough mixer but most times I still prefer using my hands (easier to gauge the moisture of the dough too). It is like playing with my daughter's Play-Doh but better as it comes alive and double in size. And that yeasty scent when the dough comes alive can be very intoxicating not to mention the heavenly aroma when the goodies are in the oven baking...
As usual I tend to improvise whenever I am lacking in some ingredients and always tweak the recipe to accommodate some fussy palates but basically it follows pretty closely to the original recipe except for the sugar part. 
Her is sugar free but mine here is definitely not. 
I didn't have any honey so I used sugar and I like the idea of filling and a glaze. I was actually toying with the idea of a pumpkin cum gaya jam for a filling but the chelsea buns won . So I went crazy with butter, sugar, raisins and nuts for the filling, didn't I tell you I had fun? Definitely not for people on diet... 

My sister, Mui gave me this big pumpkin which had been sitting in the kitchen for weeks. Not wanting to cut it open as I know I had to have enough ways to cook it up fast. 

I still have half left even after using some to cook in Terri's style (see how red the pumpkin flesh is) and my usual balsamic glazed.
Following ganache's advice I peeled, steamed and freeze the remainder for future use. 

Click here for Ganache-ganache's original sugar-free pumpkin buns.
I halved the recipe as half the household is not in town.

Pumpkin Chelsea Buns
Dough:
300g bread flour
150g pumpkin puree (peeled, steamed, mashed or blended)
40g castor sugar
75 - 80 ml milk (depends on the moisture content of the pumpkin puree)
1 t salt
1 t instant yeast
40g butter, softened

Mix the flour and salt in a large bowl, rub in the butter and stir in the sugar and yeast.
Add in the milk and mix well into a firm dough.
Turn the dough out on a flour surface and knead (my favorite part) for 10 minutes or so until smooth and elastic. 
 
When that is achieved, return it to a floured bowl, cover with a tea towel and leave it in a warm corner for 30 minutes or until the dough doubled in size.

Like this... when the yeasty fragrance is most pronounced and it looks like it is alive.

At this stage, turn out the dough on to a floured surface and knock or punch it down.

Roll out the dough into a square of about 30 cm.

Filling:
1T melted butter
1T brown sugar mix with 1t ground cinnamon
40g raisins (or chocolate chips as Bryan requested)
40g walnuts (coarsely chopped)

Brush with the melted butter.

Sprinkle with the brown sugar and as can be seen from the picture above, half of the dough was sprinkle with raisin while the other half, chocolate chips as requested by Bryan. 

After the nuts are sprinkled on, roll the dough up, Swiss roll style.
 
Cut the roll into 12 slices.

And place them in an oiled 23cm cookie pan. Cover and leave for another 30 minutes until they double in size again.
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 200c.
Bake the buns for 15 minutes or until they are golden.
Leave to cool on a rack.

Glaze:
2T sugar
1 T water 
Gently heat the sugar and water until sugar dissolve.

Brush the glaze over the warm buns. 

The pumpkin in the buns turned a beautiful golden yellow when baked. 


Best serve warm with black coffee without sugar (kopi 'o' kosong). 

6 comments:

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

whoa, pumpkin rolls! i can never make good bread dough with my hands so hats off to u. btw, when i took tt lesson on hk baos, we were also taught to make sweet potatoes baos. kinda like this recipe, steaming and mashing the potatoes.

wmw said...

I love pumpkins, to eat or just to look at the round ones...they're cute looking:o). I only started to realise of late that there is so many dishes one can do with pumpkin!

ganache-ganache said...

Wow, your pictures are gorgeous ! Were the buns soft & fluffy ?

ganache-ganache said...

Oh, I can never knead with my hands too ! I've got no patience for this & get fed up when the dough starts getting sticky...

Christina Kim said...

These look really pretty:)
Nice!~
It was really a great piece of work:D

a feast, everyday said...

terri, u can make good anything! Share the potatoes baos recipe - i still hv a reserve of mashed pumpkin in the freezer and pumpkin baos sound good too.

wmw, i love it too.

ganache, tq. They were and so good to eat. I made another batch the next day.

christy, tq.