Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Japanese Public Bath

Am blogging this from Heather's computer in Shanghai and although there is so much to tell about this phenomena city I have no pictures to show as this computer cannot upload the pics from my camera. So that will have to wait until we get home.
As I have tons of Japan's pictures, I would like to talk about my favorite, favorite to-do list whilst in Japan. This is a MUST for me whenever the opportunity arises. The hot spring public bath. I managed to take this rare shot as there wasn't a soul (naked or otherwise) around.
The golden rule, first and foremost, you have to be in your birthday suit, no bikinis, towels or handkerchief. Don't worry, public baths are all like-gender only. And whatever you think you see, do not stare.

Then, scrub and clean every inch of you body from head to toe sitting here by the side of the pool. Only then, you can slowly dip your body into the the hot tub. Be very careful, don't plunge in as the water temperature is about 40c - 42c.

This has been addictive for me since my first dip more than 20 years ago. Heavenly. Guarantee a good night sleep after an episode of this.
My dream is the real outdoor hot spring bath, onsen in a rural ryokan. Maybe next trip...

6 comments:

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

hi how do u like shanghai? r the people still rude n aggressive? how's d shopping?

er...i think i'd take the spa anytime. more private n u don't have to share bodily discharge (ew).plus very pleasant & luxurious :))

Anonymous said...

ooh, hot bath, never been to one. looks really really clean. The scrubbing every inch sounds perfect. must try, someday :-)

ganache-ganache said...

Hi, you've been tagged ! Check out my blog for details.

Elvina czQin said...

ooh, memories memories. haha, aunty, let's go again next time :P Too bad I did't get a clear pictures for the Hachibeii bathroom, you'll love it for sure if that time you stayed with us.

Anonymous said...

terri, cold n raining in shanghai...
spa n japanese bath r two entirely different experiences. hv u ever tried the bath b4?

frank, try it, even K is now a convert...

ganache, y u give me assignment??:(

nana, yeah hachibeii one better.

Sofia said...

hi, I used your second photo in one of my post. I hope it's okay. I included a link to your blog.

Thanks :)