Monday, February 23, 2009

Chicken-one-pot

These days there are usually only three of us for dinner. Knowing me, I like short cuts and have everything in one dish - save on dish washing too! I don't remember where I came across this recipe so sorry I can't give credit. I like it because it is really simple to cook and  with minimal everyday ingredients that can be found in most household, it is a breeze. As for taste, according to Leanne, she doesn't like it... but loves it! She likes to tease me with a long pause at the... :0 Naughty girl.
Any veggies like celery, bell peppers, peas can be added too. A good fridge cleaning recipe.
 

3 chicken thighs, deboned
corn starch seasoned with salt and pepper to coat chicken
2 T oil
1 big onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
1 tomato, diced
2 cloves of garlic, crushed and peeled
2 T brown sugar
4 T apple cider vinegar
1 T Worcestershire-sauce
black pepper, freshly ground
salt

Cut chicken into two. 
Pat dry and coat them in the corn starch. 
Heat oil in pan, fry the chicken until it is golden and cook through. 

Remove to a plate.
Fry onion in the same pan on fairly high heat until fragrant and slightly caramelized, add garlic, carrot and tomato. 
Combine sugar, apple cider vinegar and Worcestershire-sauce in a bowl and adjust the sweet and sour balance to taste, add 2-3 tablespoon of water if like thinner gravy. 
Add to the veggies and cook for a few minutes until sauce thickens a little. 
Return the chicken to the pan and mix well. Season with some black pepper and salt if you like. Dish out and garnish with cilantro (which I didn't have) and serve with rice.

8 comments:

foodbin said...

looks good and inviting!

a feast, everyday said...

foodbin, it is very appetizing cos of the sourish taste. The only problem - tends to eat lots of rice with it...

Anonymous said...

this is the best kind...simple and superb. correct about the excessive rice bit, one will be hard put to go easy on the rice, evil evil evil...

Denise ^ ChickyEGG said...

if I dont have Worcestershire sauce at home, and i hardly use it, never tot of buying a bottle just for small usage. What do u think I can replace that W sauce with?

ganache-ganache said...

I like the part where the chicken is well-browned, so appetizing !

Denise : 'busybody' here, if I don't have Worcestershire sauce in my pantry, I'll probably mix tomato ketchup with balsamic vinegar & brown sugar. Go buy a bottle lah, it's very handy !! if not come get from me, sotong in xchange, hahaha...

a feast, everyday said...

frank, tt'sone reason we r a nation of diabetics- love our rice too much.

denise, like ganache said- go get a bottle, small one will do. it helps give a dish some depth n oomph. Leanne'll use it for her tomato salad if she can't find the balsamic.

ganache, yeah, i'm very particular bout the browning n i like the chicken even without the sauce...
Tq for sharing with denise n me the substitute for d W sauce :D

Precious Pea said...

Hey Jo, hopping over after reading Terri's blog. Happy Anniversary to you and your Hub!

a feast, everyday said...

Tqvm, p pea. It was truly an evening to remember.