Monday, September 29, 2008

Diang Miang Ngu @ Sibu Central Market

This looks more like a stadium than a market, don't you think? I was told it is one of the largest market in Malaysia, it is definitely one of the best looking one I have seen in Malaysia. 

It is also very orderly and neat but still retains a feel of a market place. First there is the tamu area (you can't mistaken it for anything else because most of the produce are displayed on the floor like in all tamus with the vendors squatting) and then you have the market proper. First tamu I have been to that is fully covered and operates daily. That sure beats shopping under the hot sun.

Seems like a very common and popular item, the pickled kangkong. Quite a number of stalls offering them in the tamu.

No, these are not for cooking lemang. These bamboos are for the native's special dish, the bamboo chicken. They use coconut water (not santan) to cook this dish. Really like to taste it.

This is midin, but I really can't tell the difference between this and paku ferns just by looking, they taste much better though. 

Another edible fern.

I found these chickens all wrapped up and ready to go. First time I have seen dressed up chickens :-) 

Sure enough, we found the only stall selling this at the upstairs market place.
The
 cook was kind enough to let me squeeze into her tiny kitchen to take pictures while she prepared the dish.
 
This is a batter of rice flour and water (the gruel). 

She put some stock, black fungus and mushroom in this wok. I waited eagerly for her to lace the edge of the wok with the batter like what L had described to me earlier.

But no, she then heated another wok and started to cook the batter in it. When I asked why she did that she said it is faster and easier but...but... I don't want fast and easy.. I want a spectacular show!! Oh man, I felt so cheated.
  
Here was my diang miang ngu in two separate woks... :-(

When the gruel set she just flipped it over to the wok with the boiling soup which by now she had added minced meat and fish balls.

The final product. The noodle was very smooth and tasted good but I still felt cheated.

We ordered a plate of fried rice cake too. Not bad, good wok heat but still light, the rice cake had just the right bite.

13 comments:

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

thanks for this post. 'ding ben hu' (mandarin) is one of my fav dishes, n nobody sells it anymore in kk. i am told tt in sibu most vendors 'cheat' using two woks bc tt way they can cook many bowls in shorter time. bc u r bothered to look for it, i will try cooking this one day n u will be invited :0

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

oops, omit the 'r'in 2nd last line

Christina Kim said...

That sounds interesting...hmmmm...I thought it looks a little like mee hoon kueh initially:p

Hahaha....and chill, it's okay about the easy cooking part ya!~:)

Anonymous said...

The 'wrapped chickens look funny lol!

a feast, everyday said...

terri, u cook n i take pictures. make sure u use one wok only!

christy, basically it is mee hoon (rice flour). how do they cook the meehoon kueh?

anony, tt was actually a bit weird n I wonder if the chickens ever get over-heated n die.

Anonymous said...

You should have gone to Grace, a coffee shop next to the Dewan Suarah in Sibu. The dianpainngu there is the best, better than the original place...in some lane along Blacksmith Road (where Standard Chartered Bank is).

a feast, everyday said...

suituapui, if only i knew bout ur blog b4 i went 2 sibu....tq for all the good food tips. Hope i'd get another chance to go to Sibu

Anonymous said...

Welcome. Now that we've made the acquaintance, I would love to show u around, should u come this way again...(or any of ur friends, for that matter)! Cheers!

a feast, everyday said...

Tq suituapui, i'd love 2 try Ruby restaurant n also Grace coffee shop for the diang miang ngu.

ganache-ganache said...

I've never heard of this noodle dish, still can't pronounce it but it sure looks good ! I feel sorry for the chickens too.......

a feast, everyday said...

Same with me too, until terri asked me 2 look for it in Sbu. Lucky I had L, true foodie for a guide.

Anonymous said...

That's a revolutionary way to cook the mee hoon kueh soup. Interesting !

Anonymous said...

Must try this one here....