Saturday, August 25, 2007

A paellera that is not


Thank you, K for this paella pan that is not exactly a paellera. He got this in Frankfurt. He could not find a genuine paellera so he bought this instead just as to be in time for my birthday this month. So very touched by his thoughtfulness. Thank you, my love.

Here let me wish my sisters (all except for one, Mui Fong who was born in December), also a few floggers like babe-in-the-city and her son, the scent of lemongrass who were all August babies and Ket King, my nephew and Miyo, a cute three-year-old who were both born on the 31st August, happy birthday to all of us!!

Don is back for a few days and I promised him paella, so the pan was put to good use immediately. Went to the usually fish stall for prawn but none was available. Was resigned to cook the dish with only chicken but wait...



...there is this last chorizo sausage left in the fridge!! Now if only I could find some rabbit's meat...Used the same recipe but just added in the sliced and lightly fried Spanish sausage. Went so well that I didn't even get to snap a picture of the end result! Another reason I didn't get a picture of the cooked paella was because I was too busy eating these...



Mui Fong brought a whole bag of these jungle durians and they were just the best...ever. The flesh was sooo smooth and with such sweet aroma. It was like eating the creamiest peanut butter and the best smoothest chocolate you can imagine, even K who is not so crazy about durian gave the thumbs up. This fruit season, for Mui Fong and me, has been all about jungle and local durians. We are boycotting the genetically engineered species!

(Edit)

Note: The man who owns the tree that bears these gorgeous fruits wants an acknowledgement in the blog. This tree is an inheritance from his father which he called 'Special Durian Merah'. He is Philip Botindal of Kg. Togop, Tamparuli.

Thank you, Philip!

Jo

4 comments:

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

hey, nice pan! no need to go tt far..my friend bought one at d kitchenware shop in front of where Khrisnan curry hse used to be, in front of Towering? But i'm not sure if it's good b/c it looks non-stick to me.

Wey put it aptly when he described d creaminess of d jungle durian as "wax-like" so sometimes too much of a good thing is too much. i'm also not hot about new durian hybrids but i have to tell u, u must eat d A14 at Lintas S., behind Emperor Res. They start selling 2.30 pm . get d smaller fruit. when i tried it, i thought, prejudices aside, it has gotta be d best durian ever!!

Anonymous said...

My best half's eyes were positively gleaming on the durian bit. "I haven't had my fix yet this year," she pouts.

Too much of a good thing is right now in KK, we've been eating our way across KK...

I'm am constantly stuffed. :p It's not a bad experience. :-)

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

passed by ur hse last nite to give u d weirdest durian ever. it's red with green spikes, has d smelliest smell n d seed is bitter-choc brown! wanted u to eat it n still tell me u r boycotting 'genetically engineered' durians b/c if all wild durians taste like tt, i'm getting out of here!btw, found out tt d A14 is best if its BIG. So.

Heather said...

i love jungle durians. they are the best ever. seriously. come over and try some! its sooooooooooooo yummy. :)